Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Oct. 23, 2007

2 Chronicles 21:14

North Carolina is facing "exceptional drought" conditions. The news claims that we faced a drought in 2002, but I don't remember it. This is the first time I remember being fined if I am caught watering my garden and a plea from the governor to take shorter showers. It's the first time I remember actually hoping we'd get a hurricane. We. Need. Rain.

It hasn't slipped past me that NC is facing this exceptional drought after we passed the "educational" lottery. I have read the Old Testament and if there is one thing I know it's that the Lord will put a serious smack down on the wicked. I voted against the lottery but knew it would inevitability get passed. For the most part I am oblivious to the lottery except for on the occasion I actually decide to go inside to pay for my gas and I am forever stuck behind a zillion people buying lottery tickets. This is incredibly annoying because it's not like people just chuck their cash on the counter and ask for three tickets. Oh no, the procedure is intricate with what feels like 20 choices and people always want some obscure combination of tickets. I kid not when I say I waited in line for seven minutes with two people in front me who were only purchasing tickets. That will teach me to leave my debit card in my jeans pocket.

So yes, we are having a drought. We need rain. I pray for rain. And tomorrow the forecast is promising rain. Rain all night tonight. All day tomorrow. Lots and lots of beautiful wet rain. Only, TOMORROW IS OUR FIELD TRIP TO THE PUMPKIN PATCH! I could seriously spit nails. I cannot drag the rugrats through the wet mucky pumpkin fields with rain and more rain. For the love, why on earth of all days during this drought does it have to rain tomorrow? Nothing is cuter than the kids chubby hands grabbing at pumpkins. I know, because they grabbed them at the farmers market in anticipation of this field trip. They grabbed them today in class as we gutted a pumpkin in anticipation of this field trip. They grabbed mini pumpkins for pumpkin bowling in anticipation of this field trip.

Guess what people, I am heading out the door to go buy a lottery ticket, in anticipation of this field trip. It simply cannot rain tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment