Friday, November 26, 2010

Oct.28, 2008

This is me, shaking my head in disbelief

Yesterday, I was able to spend the fine tax payers of NC money at The ‘Get. This was a big trip because NC is about to put a freeze on state spending so I had to stock up for the kidos. All items in my cart screamed, “shopping for kids”. The cashier, a gentleman in his early twenties, was busy scanning multiple packages of diaper wipes, all manner of kid snacks, hand soap, juice boxes, and at the end I had a few packs of these 2 oz neon cups.

The cashier made a gasping sound and exclaimed, “These cups are so cute!” Given, I have the world’s worst poker face, I am sure he saw the “What the H, they're plastic cups” expression smeared across my brow. He followed up with “You use these for shots right?”I just stood there for a second, before I picked up my jaw from the conveyor belt. Are you kidding me? Yeah, I just added a quick boozer restock to my list of puffs, sippy cups, and hand sanitizer. People do buy their shot glasses and other drinking paraphernalia in the midst of their regular groceries, but my items so clearly screamed WHOLESOME INNOCENCE! Why would I suddenly also be purchasing plastic shot glasses? Given I was about to hand over my state credit card to pay for the goods, I made sure to correct him and said the only shots poured in those cups will be milk. For Preschoolers. Tiny plastic shots of milk.I was snickering on the inside, but mostly thought this guy should probably be working at The ‘Mart instead of The ‘Get. Yeah, that is me passing judgment.That was classic enough but then at the end I gave him the miniature bibliography required for our tax exempt purchase including the billing address for the card. All NC state mail goes through our Mail Service Center, and when I stated that he snickered audibly and then proceeded to write “Male Service Center”. BUSTED! Ya know us “teachers” (wink wink nudge nudge) can’t pass up the graham crackers with our shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment