Friday, November 26, 2010

March 1, 2008

I'm Not Dead. . . Yet


My apologies for demanding birthday well wishes and then leaving everyone hanging on the glory that was my 33rd birthday. For once I have good excuses. I have been back on twin duty because Fran returned to the hospital and the three oldest kids had the flu. Also, my National Board portfolio is do 30 days from now. Commence anxiety attack. When I was watching the flu ridden older gals we talked about Sweety K's 2nd birthday that was the previous weekend. I was teasing the girls about them missing my birthday when the 5 year old asked how old I turned. When I told her the current age of impending wasted eggs she exclaimed with a face of extreme surprise "Thirty-three, that isn't even NEAR 100!" So in celebration of the fact that I am NOT even near 100 I thought I would share 33 things of which I cannot live without. Because as Whitters reminded me I still have a long time to live. This isn’t a tender smootchzie list. I figure at this point in life it’s a given that I cannot live without family, friends, and the like. These items are about the little things make life bearable, enjoyable, and generally less insane. I realize many of the items will ban me from being part of the NWO, but it’s ok because groups like that tend to use natural selection to kill off the elderly.
1. Vanilla Coke. In the east I prefer Sonic and out west it's nothing but Hires. While some people feel their isn’t a need for soda, I say for the love, I am 33 year old sober virgin. Let a girl have her vice.
2. Ruby Ann. I cannot even remember my baking life pre Kitchen Aid. I probably love her as much as I do my own mother, which is either not saying much about the relationship I have with my mom or says loads about my kitchen aid. I will let you decide. If you are even semi interested in baking I highly suggest you invest in the purchase. You won’t regret it.
3. Cetaphill.I have tried hundreds of face cleansing products ridiculously expensive to ridiculously cheap. I always come back to this one.
4.DVR. Talk about indulgence. Watching “live” TV seems like such a bother now that I officially consider myself a TV watching snot.
5. Down Comforter. Regardless of the season I find that my sleep cycle has been forever blessed since the purchase of my first down comforter 4 years ago.
6. OPI Nail Polish. The only polish that doesn’t chip off my nails in 24 hours. Favorite colors are "Soho Nice to Meet You" and "Please Don’t Steal My Limo".
7. Wireless Internet
8. Sushi
9.Nano. NC is against decent radio, Bob and Sheri and NPR of course excluded. I enjoy music but certainly not a guru. I would have never purchased an Ipod for myself but now that I have one I recommend them to everyone.
10. Debit card.I hate carrying cash and for petes sake do I even own checks?
11. Love Junkie lip gloss by Urban Decay. However, as I go to link this I am faced with the fact that eventually I will have to learn to live without it once the current tube is gone. Sadly they aren't making this color any longer.
12. Hair Color.Thanks to cute Josh, I never have to think about my hair color. He always has some great idea for highlights or color to keep me feeling fresh, young, and the grey covered. Cute Josh if you ever discover this blog, I am sorry for always drooling on your floor but seriously your tats nearly send me over the edge and I wouldn’t be so awkward if you kept them covered. Also, thanks for doing a great job on my hair and never making me feel like a freak.
13. Dark chocolate. High quality dark chocolate.
14. People Magazine. I openly admit to being a celebrity gossip whore.
15. Sunday Naps.I love a 1-2 hour nap on Sunday afternoon, especially in the spring or summer if I can take them outside with the warm sun on my face. See also #18.
16. Dollar Theater. How can you not love the chance to see or re watch some highly indulgent cheesy girly movie.
17. Good knives. I finally own a chef’s knife that isn’t safe for a preschooler to use with playdough. What a difference, of course it has meant an increase in my budget for first aid items like band aids but worth it.
18. Good books.I have always been a reader and feel as if I have a diverse collection upon my many shelves. I love discovering new favorites and rediscovering old ones.
19. The Beach. I was raised on vacations to the beautiful outer banks of NC. Time on the sand, the smell of the salt air, the sun on my back…only 4 months until summer!
20. Recipes. In true southern fashion, it’s hard to find something that makes me happier than cooking for others. I am constantly collecting new recipes from friends, online, magazines, or recreating a dish from a restaurant.
21. Verizon to Verizon minutes. Genius, priceless. Now if only I could convince every cell phone user I speak to on a regular basis of the same thing.
22. Doc Martins. Feet like an elephant. I have gigantic feet. Regardless of the trend factor that Docs may or may not have at any given moment they are almost always my shoe of choice. I can spend days in these shoes and not be uncomfortable. My red Mary Janes are my favorite pair. 23. Yellow Concealer. Almost as big as my feet are the black dark circles under my eyes. Thank heavens for face paint.
24. Eye brow wax. Why risk unevenness? For seven bucks I am set for two months.
25. Good tweezers. Helps the $7 investment last that two months.
26. Google Maps. I am convinced that the general population cannot give directions. Now, I never have to ask them again.
27. Weather Channel. It’s near the OCD phase. I check the weather online at least 5 times a day. I check my local weather, my friends' weather, random places I day dream of visiting, and sometimes just plug in a made up zip code and see what pops up. If only this list included visiting a good psychiatrist.
28. Orbitz Gum. Preferably in citrus mint.
29. The Clicker. Who knows what these things are really called but my entire family refers to them as “the clicker” otherwise known as the automatic car lock/unlock device.
30. Fresh Flowers. While it’s always a delight receiving them from others that occasion is pretty rare, so I love to indulge myself with purchasing flowers for my home.
31. Farmers Market. I have become spoiled buying fresh herbs, vegetables, and fruits grown locally. I hope to always live in a city that supports such a fantastic farmers market. Also, that has a restaurant as yummy as the one here!
32. Digital Camera. Taking film to be developed seems like something done in another lifetime. I love the ease and convince of sharing photos thanks to a digital camera. I use it everywhere teaching, family events, vacationing, it’s fabulous.
33. BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS! My list wouldn't be complete if I didn't admit that I couldn't live without the joy that comes from celebrating life with family and friends. I am so appreciative of the kindness that came in the form of hysterical and loving comments (Lisa, he doesn't have to be good enough. I am 33 everything is either negotiable, repentable, or ignorable.) I have been incredibly fortunate to spend an overwhelming amount of time in life celebrating with friends near and far. Now, if finishing up my National Board portfolio doesn't kill me, I look forward to many more celebrations of life to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment